Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dreamland

At night when I'm tucking the boys in I sing them songs. It's the same four songs in the same order, every night. One of the songs I picked up from a cheap dollar video I had purchased for Hannah ages ago. It was a video that had a lot of obsure cartoons on it that no one really knew, but it was a dollar so I bought it. There was a super sappy cartoon about a boy and girl who were very poor and would dream about having an abundance of all the things they were lacking in real life. The cartoon has a theme song that is present from beginning to end and it embedded itself in my brain and eventually became a night time lullaby.
As it turns out the cartoon, called Somwhere in Dreamland, was actually very well known in it's time. It was released in 1936 by Fleischer Studios who brought us characters such as Betty Boop, Popeye and they were even the first animate the comic book hero Supermanm and such as... (I can't ever hear the words "such as" without thinking about Miss South Carolina 2007. So, so FUNNY.) Anyway, my point is that what I thought was cheap, low quality dollar store find, was actually a rich part of the history of animation.
I was a little disappointed to find out I didn't have all of the lyrics correct. My version still has the same general feel. I tried to sing the song the way it was written but Jonah quickly corrected me, so I'm sticking with my revised version.

Here are the lyrics as they were written:

I'll see you somewhere in dreamland
Somewhere in dreamland tonight!
Over a bridge made of moonbeams
We'll find our clouds are silver lined!
Each little star in the cosmos
Shining a welcome so bright!
Dreams will come true
For me and you
Somewhere in dreamland tonight!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh, Stephanie!! LOL - I think we had that SAME $1 video! Seriously!! I used to pick them up all the time for the girls. I actually think it was on a 6 hour Christmas video or something like that ;o)
    BTW-your video was removed??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe someone else had that video, lol! I don't know what was up with the video, but i linked to another one. We'll see if it disappears.

    ReplyDelete